Friday, June 3

WHAT CAN TEENS CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY?

I've surfed the internet and went to google to find a good topic for a blog. I saw "teens" and "society" and it gave  me an idea. And here I am, writing a blog. Hello again, dear reader.

Today's teens have the capability to shape their future for the good of our society. Right now, however, they  can choose to live God's values or those of the world's, be their parents' pride or problem, be society's cream of the crop or its horrible nightmare.

As we can see, as time goes by, children and teens are now getting unproductive. All they do is watch television, face their computers, chat with friends... It's way too different from what our parents have shared to us when they were kids. They usually play outside and worked hard for their baon. They even borrowed shoes from their elder brothers and sisters and walked a few kilometers just to get to school. When I have heard that from my parents, I told myself--- I am very lucky. 'Cause I never experienced working for my own baon. I never experienced borrowing my shoes from my brother. Well, I thank God for that. And my parents too. They never faileds and gave the best for us.


Ugh. Enough of that. Let's move on. So, at a modern time like this, what could we, teens, contribute to make our society a better one? As a concerned citizen (really?), here are some of my suggestions.

  • We can be model students---studious, obedient, loyal, helpful and respectful and active in school programs and activities. A strong society, I think, is built on educated people. 
  • Learn how to be a good leader. If we develop this talent and lead and serve the people later then, this is one great contribution we can make.
  • We can practice the Golden Rule--- doing to others what we would have them to do us. This is one good way of giving our society a dose of humanity and goodness.
  • Joining groups or associations for worthy causes leave no room for drugs. Believing and standing for what is right should be a priority too.

There are tons of ways on how a teen can contribute to its society. You can contribute even in your own little ways. We cannot change the society unless we start it on ourselves. Change is very difficult to introduce when only one teen is  doing it. But if each one will unite, we can surely make an impact on our society. With the help of our Almighty God, we can make all things possible. For without him, we can really do nothing.

I think, our society nowadays becomes dirty and too complicated. Despite this depressing fact, Jose Rizal's belief in the youth is still encouraging. "Ang kabataan ang pag-asa ng bayan." (The youth is the hope of the nation) And I think, we still are.

2 comments: